I recently read an article on Cranmer which brought to my attention the abhorrent contempt for democracy that some MEPs truly possess. One in particular, Proinsias de Rossa, an Irish Labourite, has commented continually and consistently insisting on berating his electorate for their lack of support for the Lisbon Treaty. Where is the democratic representation? Below is a copy of a letter I recently sent to de Rossa. I do not expect a reply.

Dear Proinsias,

Upon perusing the news this morning, I stumbled upon an article that evoked within me the need to speak out; an article which, to my thinking, highlights a point of view that derogates the very essence of democracy. An argument so antithetical to the fundamental principles of a representative system that I was momentarily taken aback. I speak of the article published today by the blogger Archbishop Cranmer, detailing the basic premise of your support for the Lisbon Treaty.

I count myself privileged to live in a system that affords others and myself the right to debate the rights and wrongs of issues of mutual concern. These issues are, in turn, legislated upon in accordance with the public consensus (mostly, anyway). I am delighted when I see my viewpoint has been taken on board, often being entrenched into law. I am less happy when I find that an alternative perspective is taken, rendering my opinions irrelevant.

But I accept it gracefully.

We have chosen to live in a representative democracy in which public will is translated into electoral representation to the best extent possible. There is, of course, one problem with this system that we all must live with: sometimes we don’t get what we want. It is a by-product of living in a liberal democratic system that, from time to time, people will feel strongly one way about something that their elected representatives feel just as strongly about the other way. In such a state of disparity, it is essential that the peoples’ verdict prevail.

Where on Earth is the representation of the Irish people in insisting upon a particular answer to a referendum? Where is the perspective when prophesising upon the demise and isolation of a nation should it dare stand up for its beliefs? It is imperative that MEPs such as yourself remain in touch with the wishes of your electorate. To stray from this path is the thin end of a wedge indeed; teeter any nearer the brink of what can permissibly pass as democracy and Ireland will need to change its name to something more befitting; something like Zimbabwe, perhaps, although that may actually have already been taken.

What I would like you to at least contemplate from this email, if nothing else, is an evaluation of whether the way in which many Irish MEPs are going about their business is worthy of the term “democracy”. Attempting to create the impression that there really is only one correct answer. Criticising vehemently comments of any and every Euro sceptic and thereby completely disregarding any right they may have to voicing their opinions (especially since, you may have forgotten, they can currently claim to be representing the views of a majority of Irish people). It is such an utter failure to accept that democracy doesn’t always yield the result everybody wants (precisely because this is in fact impossible) that astounds me.

In a democratic nation, you win some and you lose some. In thinking that when the people disagree with you it is okay to demand of them the perceived “correct answer”, somewhere along the line you have confused democracy with authoritarianism. If you were looking to the EU definition of democracy for guidance, then it is perfectly understandable as to how this uncertainly arose.

I very much look forward to your response.